|The Peace Palace, Temple of Peace and Law|
The Peace Palace in The Hague is home to the International Court of Justice and the Permanent Court of Arbitration, but also the Peace Palace Library and the Hague Academy of International Law.
The palace, the surrounding site and the library are managed by the Carnegie-Stichting which was named after the Scottish-American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie who gave the Dutch state 1.5 million dollars in 1903 to build a Temple of Peace.
An international, architectural contest was created for the design of the Peace Palace. In the end, the Frenchman Louis Cordonnier won with an eclectic design which combines Neo-Gothic and Neo-Renaissance styles. In 1913, the Peace Palace was officially opened with both Queen Wilhelmina, Andrew Carnegie and other dignitaries.
The gifts the Peace Palace received from so many countries lends the interior of the building a special, surprising and international appearance. During the Second Peace Conference held in The Hague in 1907 a call was issued to furnish the palace with gifts from the countries participating in the conference as a symbol of the global desire for peace. For example, the most beautiful types of timber were imported from Brazil and the Dutch East Indies for the panelling and a large shipment of Arabescato marble was sent from Italy to decorate the great hall. Alongside raw materials, the Peace Palace also received countless exceptional and often costly gifts from various countries such as an enormous jasper vase with a gilt, double-headed eagle from the Romanovs in Russia, the huge entrance gate was given by Germany, Majolica vases from Hungary, a fountain from Denmark, a large sculpture of Christ from Argentina, cloisonné vases from China and silk wall hangings from Japan.